Tuesday 31 May 2011

Project Deadwood

deadwood

It started something like this...during a chat with Sharon on Skype, in which I mentioned that I was going to watch an episode of Justified, Sharon asked me what Justified was. The subject of Timothy Olyphant came up and I made some reference to Olyphant’s character in Justified, being a modern day version of his character in Deadwood. This chat resulted in the question that shocked me to the core:

“What’s Deadwood?”

Yep, you heard right, Sharon has not only not seen Deadwood but had never even heard of it! Things needed to be set right. In customary Sharon and Mark fashion though, this would not be done in a simple way: Sharon watching the series and then confirming that I was justified (pun oh so intended) in recommending it. Oh no, this was to become ‘Project Deadwood’, wherein both Sharon and I would watch the episodes together and then write a episodic commentary on them, Sharon from the perspective of a first-time viewer and I, as someone who hasn’t seen the series for five years but is aware of all the twists and turns, eager to reveal them but making sure I don’t.

So over the course of the next few weeks/months we are going to be finding days to watch the episodes and then forcing ourselves to write the commentary before moving on to the next. We have no set deadline for this, preferring to fit this around our other projects/deadlines.

If you’re in Sharon’s position, maybe you want to watch the series from scratch, or like me, watch it all over again. Either way, you are free to join us on my blog: http://markdeniz.wordpress.com/, and on our Facebook and Twitter accounts, where we’ll post the commentaries, as well as our agreed dates for the episodes. If you have a Dropbox account, feel free to let me or Sharon know and we’ll add you to the folder, otherwise you can watch your own copies along with us.

Get yer guns!

No comments:

Post a Comment